So the reason I haven’t been writing as much is because I am back in NY trying to compile all I need for a Spain Visa. More details on that later.
We have been accepted into a teaching program called “AUXILIARES DE CONVERSACIÓN.” It is a program funded by the Spanish government. For this reason we were worried that the program would be cut but so far so good. Here are the details:
- You apply online months in advance- you can pick 3 regions and they will place into one of these 3. You can also request a certain age level to teach. The application is in Spanish.
- If you are accepted you will receive an email months later stating what region you were placed in (this happens around May).
- Then a couple weeks-months later you will receive an email with your school placement. I found mine in my SPAM folder. This letter is super important as you will need it to get a visa.
- You apply for a student visa. If you need to make an appointment at your consulate then I suggest doing this even before you receive your placement letter. You generally want to make your appointment for 6 weeks before you leave.
- You arrive in Spain for the start of the school year (October 1- May 31). There is a program orientation. And you get paid 700-1000 Euros a month to be a teacher’s assistant with some paid vacation and basic medical insurance. The rest is up to you.
If you want more info these people break it down pretty good:
Memoirs of a Young Adventuress (she has some other super useful posts as well)
Also, this forum has been incredibly useful throughout the whole process.
I’ll be posting more to come. And if you have any questions don’t hesitate to ask!